Privacy and Data Protection Awards
Previously we have talked about some polemic topics and they have made us think about privacy and data protection. For the best practices in this field there are some initiatives that recognize their work and boost creativity. Let’s get to know more about these awards and merits.
Data Protection Awards 2020
The 2020 Data Protection Awards are a result of an announcement made by the Spanish Data Protection Agency (AEPD from its acronym in Spanish), in June this year. This edition additionally includes 6 categories:
- Entrepreneurship Award “Ángela Ruiz Robles”.
- Good practices for greater protection on the Internet of the privacy of women victims of gender violence.
- Proactivity and good practices to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Organic Law for the Protection of Personal Data and Guarantee of Digital Rights (OLPPDGDR).
- Good educative practices for the secure use of Internet for minors.
- Research: “Emilio Aced”.
The categories include different ways to recognize the effort and commitment of people as well as projects, organizations and companies. Also individual and collective works can opt for the prizes. Another key point is that they highlight in each category the compliance with the GDPR.
Among the incentives are work broadcasts, delivery of endowments of up to 3000 euros in some cases, honorific merits, school material, and other depending on the case. The due date to present candidates is the 15th of November 2020.
Global Privacy and Data Protection Awards
The Global Privacy and Data Protection Awards celebrated their third edition in October 2019, in the 41st International Conference of Data Protection Commissioners in Tirana, Albany.
The awards celebrate creative ideas, innovative practices and brilliant people to which we have the privilege to call part of our community. I hope that the winners not only take their prize home but also the sense of pride that it gives one when recognized by their colleagues”,Elizabeth Denham CBE, president of ICDPPC and commissioner of information of UK.
Annual IAPP Awards
Every year the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) recognizes people and organizations that make a difference in the world of privacy. The IAPP grants the following awards:
- IAPP Vanguard Award.
- Privacy Leadership Awards.
- Privacy Innovation Awards.
Past Award Winners
Some of the winners in previous editions have been:
Privacy Innovation Awards
- Teleperformance (Operations)
- Allianz (Operations)
- RADAR (Technology)
IAPP Privacy Vanguard Award
- Bojana Bellamy, CIPP/E
- Henriette Tielmans
- Brendon Lynch, CIPP/US
Privacy Leadership Awards
- Giovanni Buttarelli, European data protection supervisor.
- Lorrie Faith Cranor, CIPT, Codirector, MSIT-Privacy Engineering Masters Program, Carnegie Mellon University, Director, CyLab Usable Privacy and Security Laboratory.
- Ted Dean, Former interim undersecretary of Industries and Analysis, ITA, Department of Commerce of United States. Marc Groman, CIPP/US, Former Senior Privacy Assesor, White House Budget and Management Office.
Practitioner Award for Excellence in Data Protection
The Information Commissioner´s Office (ICO) presented the Practitioner Award for Excellence in Data Protection in 2018 to recognize those professionals that go one step further when it comes to data protection.
The winner is announced at the Conference of Data Protection Professionals of ICO in Manchester.
“I’m delighted to have been chosen for this award and extremely grateful to have been nominated for it. Data protection officers are increasingly important on the front line of the new digital society, ensuring the rights of the public are protected while also making sure their organizations are legally compliant”.Esther Watt SOURCE: ICO
In 2019, Mikko Niva won the prize, in charge of group policies at Vodafone Group Services Ltd, with headquarters in London. Here you can get to know the nominees for 2020.
As an individual or as part of a company, institution or project, have you done anything in favor of data privacy and protection? An article, a communicative platform, a software, workshop or any other initiative?
This is an opportunity to inspire others, to lead with example and that the labor of those who deserve it be recognized.